Friday, September 11, 2009

"Can't We All Just Get Along?" ...




I was raised with a very conservative (fundamental) religious background. I was pretty much taught in religious circles that you do/say/be as we tell you to do/say/be OR ... you're lost, you're wrong, you're "out".


Somewhere along the line - in recent months, I have made a decision not to live my life in an unkind manner toward those who disagree with my beliefs, opinions. This may sound conceited but I don't mean it in a conceited way when I say I "pride" myself in accepting and befriending those who differ from me because I think we can all gain from the perspectives of others.


But doesn't it work both ways? Maybe you're not religious or maybe you are, maybe you're gay or maybe you're straight, maybe you're a Republican or maybe you're a Democrat.


IF you want to be accepted as any one of those - why can't you accept those on the opposite "side" from you?


It's a total double standard.


Like me if I'm Republican but I reserve the right to not like you if you're a Democrat. Don't you religious people be mean to me if I'm gay but hey - I'm gay and I hate your God. If I'm pro-choice and you're pro-life - we can't PRO- gress in a nice, civil conversation??


Huh???

What???

Really???


That's not right.
That's just plain sad.


If we cannot learn to listen and befriend those who differ ... if we can't agree to disagree ... how in the world can we ever hope to achieve any level of peace on any scale - within our homes, throughout our neighborhoods, our cities, our churches, our country?


Sorry, I just don't get it. I'm kinda with Rodney King on this one ... "Can't we all just get along?" -- at least a little ... and play nice?!


There's a way to disagree and rudeness ain't it.


That's my two cents worth ... and in this economy I will accept that it maybe more like a penny. ;-)


"Peace out ... "  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment