Monday, September 21, 2009

It's time to go to bed ...


Yes, yes ... I know.   The hands of the clock are signaling that I am way past my own self-imposed bedtime curfew.  But alas, sleep betrays me.  I'm simply not tired yet so -- why fight it?

I figure the reason sleep is evading me is because I have a major (major decision to me anyway) life decision coming up.  I am being evaluated for gastric bypass this Tuesday.

This is a big (pardon the pun) decision and one that I don't take lightly (sorry - this is becoming thematic!)  ;-)

I have already mentioned previously that I have been fighting this battle for over 32 years.  If my insurance company will not cover the gastric-bypass procedure then it will not be an option because I refuse to spend an arm and a leg to lose a stomach!  (ha)

But - I am all about "informed decisions" and I am going to consult with a surgeon approved by my insurance provider to "weigh" (there it is again!) all of my options.

I am learning:  Be careful who you mention this option to.  Almost everybody has a "horror" story that they can't wait to pass on.  I guess that should be something that causes me to stand up and take notice ... this is not a "cure all" or "the easy way out" -- this is a huge decision.

I am looking at this possibility as a "tool" - not an easy fix.  I have seen one too many regain most, if not all, of their weight back because they have not made the necessary lifestyle changes.  I think my mind is in the right place - I realize the responsibility lies with me -- not my surgeon. 

But I am at a place where I want to see where this road might lead ... and I am optimistic that I am doing the right thing to at least acquire more information to help toward making that informed decision.

I don't think that weight loss surgery is for everyone ... but this is a very personal decision.  Not one to be taken lightly but ... one I am seriously considering.

I think the road ahead looks bright and it definitely holds a lot of promise.

As always - I will keep you -

Posted!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment