Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Sad Day


This is what grief feels like.


I have felt it before but the weight of it tonight is unbelievably heavy on my heart.  Today we had to say goodbye to our dear friend and our beloved family pet, Ivy.

Ivy was born on May 1, 1994.  She came to live with us close to my 31st birthday a few months later in July.  From the time she became a part of our family until she drew her last breath this morning, Ivy was and remained a constant companion, a true friend, a beautiful little girl.  She was loyal, she was fiercely protective of her people, she was intuitive, gentle and a true gift.  She made me feel as though I was the most important person in the world and every time I walked in the door she showed so much happiness it would've seemed I'd been away on a trip for far too long.  Ohhhh - to only live up to being worthy of that much love and devotion.

Ivy was TRULY one of a kind.  I love her so much.

I don't know how long this grief will hang like a cloud ~ I think in time this sadness will be lifted by our warm and vivid memories of happier times with our girl.

I love you, Ivy.  I have from the first time I held you in my arms at Haven Humane when you rested on your back, soaking in the attention and showing us your sweet and gentle nature.  I will love you forever.

Thank you for being my friend, my companion, my little baby dog.  I believe someday I will see you again -- prancing about, "talking" in your own special way, snapping at honey bees and running away with your favorite burger in between your teeth - certain to keep us from getting it from you.  Wow -- you loved to play.

And we know that you know you were loved.  By every single member of our family - immediate and extended.  You brought to life the saying, "To know you is to love you."  EVERYONE who met you - loved you, Ivy. 

YOU are the best baby - I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment