Tuesday, August 4, 2009

God


You know what I find humorous?



I find it humorous - in a good way - that, when I have a question (about ANYTHING), the first "Person" I talk to about it inside is who I refer to as ... God.



It's true.



I never really gave it much thought until I started blogging ~ but I am always conversing with God about one thing or the other. I either say, "Wow - that person's such an idiot - what were you thinking when you put them in a womb and sent them our way?" (ha) - or "Wow, now THAT is one amazing sunrise - way to go, God!"



Seriously - I have these conversations on a daily - even moment to moment - basis. I have always figured most people do. Then I started asking, "Who do athiest talk to when they have something to say about an awesome sunrise?"


There is no doubt in my mind and heart that I have a strong belief.



It's the concept(s) of how to get to Heaven and whether the Bible is the the wholly (don't confuse that with "holy") inspired Word of God. There are many things that I don't get in the bible ... and while I realize the Bible wasn't "written" to pacify my feelings or be a "feel good" read - I still have my questions about it. And I think that is A-OK.



Take for instance, the book of Judges.



If you haven't ever studied it - there's this one story in the book of Judges. It is about a promise made by a leader and about the ultimate sacrifice of his (Jephthah’s) daughter to keep that promise (Judges 11:31 -).



Come on now ... seriously? Murder your child because God blessed you and you made a promise?



I know, I know -- "Be careful of what you vow" -- but ... come on. The story was used as an example to believers in many a youth group bible study - as to the seriousness of a vow -- don't make a vow you don't intend to keep.



In today's day and age that guy would totally be thrown in the slammer (and rightfully so). Yes, we need to be careful of our promises but seriously - if I screwed up and vowed that I would sacrifice the next thing that came out of my door and it happened to be my daughter - I would tell God, "I'm sorry - I'm REALLY sorry - but I obviously did not think this one through." I would hope He'd understand.



Just yesterday I read about a father who prayed over his daughter while she lay dying of undiagnosed diabetes complications. He refused to seek medical help because he felt that, to do so, would be indicative of a lack of faith.

The article stated in as many words that the man believed that once he prayed to God - accepting human intervention would negate the Divine.

I disagree with the way the man handled this situation. While I can appreciate the fact that he had so much faith - it's not a decision I would ever make. And, unfortunately, it cost his daughter her life. Not his, hers.



Anywhooo - ultimately the poor little girl died and a 9-1-1 call was placed AFTER the fact.
I do feel for this man and his family ~ I realize he had all of the belief in the world that God would heal his daughter. But - she wasn't healed - at least not healed by the world's standards. I guess some would say she received the ultimate healing and I understand where they're going with that. But for this man? His faith was not made sight for him in this lifetime and - he faced charges and was found guilty by a jury of his peers.


It's a very sad story - but where do faithful draw a line? Is it okay to have faith for yourself but not okay to have faith on behalf of another (a child, for example?)? This poor little girl died as a direct result of a father's lack of willingness to get her proper medical attention.



I think the situation is even worse with Jephthah. His daughter ended up dying at his own hand. It doesn't make a difference to me that she supported it. What's she gonna' say to her daddy?


I think it was wrong.


I don't get that story and that is just one that I thought of to express my questioning.

How dare I question God, you ask (or maybe you didn't)? I am asking questions of a pretty reliable source, I'd say. I don't think there there is anything wrong with asking Him questions -- at least I'm not talking behind His back and ... He knows what's in my heart and what's on my mind already anyway.



Some would say that is a story from the Old Testament and that once Jesus came (New Testament) he was the final sacrifice. Yet the Bible also says, Jesus is the same - Yesterday, Today and Forever - and Jesus is God.




So which is it? Was it okay to murder a child at any point in bible days? OR - if it's not okay to sacrifice a child now - then why would it have been then? How in the world can that be okay?? I say it's NOT! Personal opinion.



[You know King James ... THAT story sucks. Take it out Wycliff - please. ha]



Slavery - there's another one ~ but I won't get into that today.



I must sign off for now - a new day begins ...


As always - I'll keep you posted ... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment