Thursday, January 28, 2010

Third Stone's a Charm ???

Had the KUB today ... the results were that the laxative didn't work well enough, the bowel was full, there was too much abdominal gas ... long story short:  my left kidney was not visible at all so -- that KUB didn't help the urologist in the slightest. 

However, he said the CT test was helpful (which is why I really didn't understand ordering a KUB AFTER a CT scan anyway - because the CT scan is the better and more expensive test and it normally comes AFTER a KUB if the KUB is not sufficient ... this was backwards in my opinion but ... who am I?  Certainly not the doc.)  Moving along -- according to the urologist there are actually three stones visible in the CT scan (not two as I was originally told) and he hung the films up on the light board.  He took the time to point each one out to me and I found that interesting. 

Two of the stones (1 mm and 4 mm in size) are still in the left kidney.  The third stone has made its way to the left ureter. 

(I know, I know -- TMI, gross, etc.).  Here's the deal ~ there was still a lot of blood in my urine today but the urologist says these are not large stones and they should pass on their own.  When?  He has no idea.  He sent me home with a prescription for Flomax, told me to add two Tums per day in addition to the other nutritional supplements I am taking daily.  I was given three strainers and asked to try to capture the three stones and, whenever they pass, bring them in for him to analyze what they are comprised of. 

I meant to ask for some nutritional recommendations from the urologist - ideas as to what would work diet wise with a post gastric bypass body.  I forgot to ask him.  :-(  He did say that he is 100% positive what's going on in my body right now is a direct result of my diet (lack thereof) post gastric bypass -- the changes that have taken place with regard to the way my body processes food, breaks (or does not break) down food, etc., etc.  

Anyway - enough of this ... time will help to fix things and I hope it feels better soon. 

I am dealing with waves of discomfort daily -- this morning was a bad morning - this afternoon was better - earlier this evening I broke down and took a teaspoon of Vicodin and it got a lot better within 1/2 hour.  Vicodin is not recommended post gastric bypass because it adds to an already existent problem of constipation.  Case in point - I took those three pills (laxatives) last night and 24 hours later it still hasn't worked completely.  The urologist said he doesn't feel there is a bowel obstruction but there are definite issues in my bowels.

Alright - didn't I just say enough already?

This is the reality of life post gastric bypass.  Would I do it again?  I've already said yes, I would.  BUT - do I wish I could have or would have done this on my own?  Yes, most definitely.

Wow - this is pretty much just a repeat of yesterdays writing but ... I felt like blogging so ... there you have it.

That's all for now but, as always, I'll keep you posted ~

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment