Saturday, November 21, 2009

Day 3 –

I had to go back in for an emergency corrective surgery @ 2 AM this morning.  Honestly -- this morning was the second most difficult day thus far. The pain I have been feeling - even when trying to swallow only 15 cc’s of any type of liquid - has been SO intense and excruciating – I can't even describe it. 

I cannot be released from the hospital until I can drink at least 32 oz. of clear liquid(s) – and this can be any combination of water, herbal tea, Crystal Light, Coffee, sugar free jello, etc.

But nothing will stay down and the pain is too much. I hadn’t taken any medication since they took me off the Morphine drip and I didn’t even need or use that one. Surgical pain (as far as from staples, incision, etc.) was pretty much non-existent from the time I woke up from the anesthesia. In fact, when I woke up I felt 100% better than I did prior to the gastric bypass procedure and this was probably due to the fact that they repaired the hernia. I was told I had a broken rib on my left side 3 weeks prior to surgery from coughing too much while our household went through the flu so I just assumed the pain I had right before my gastric bypass was due to that rib. I was PLEASANTLY surprised to have that pain 100% after surgery. Yee Haw! It’s the little things, ya know?!

But the pain from trying to swallow was some of the worst I have ever felt. Apparently, according to my surgeon, I was suffering from a bit of swelling at the “pouch” outlet. UGH … that is miserable. I was put on an IV – constant drip – for 24 hours because of dehydration.

On top of it -- my “roomie” in the hospital is making me nuts. I thought I was a patient person but I think those days are gone. I was patient back in high school but …

She has some sort of abdominal issue … she’s been in since Sunday night with extreme abdomen and pelvic pain(s). They can’t figure out the “what” or “why” and they have been doing exam after exam in an effort to get to the “bottom” of things. Pardon THAT pun because her bottom is the thing that caused her problems. It ended up causing ME problems too (selfish, ain’t it?). The lady was “backed-up” and they were concocting what they called a “colon cocktail”. I’m pretty sure you won’t find this at your local bar and if you did you wouldn’t find many people seated AT the bar – though their restroom(s) would be fully occupied and their toilet tissue would be in short supply.

Gladys (ahhh – dear sweet Gladys with the finger nails the size of Texas … I swear she could’ve picked my nose from across the room with those daggers. Surely no need for her to carry pepper spray late at night … I’d bet them puppies are registered legal weapons). But I digress. Gladys had gas. Gladys passed gas. Glady’s would “go” in the toilet, cover it with a paper towel (an early Christmas present for the staff?), close the door and never call nursing staff to dump her “hat” – (and I ask you … why in the world do they refer to a waste container as a “hat” – there was nothing in there that I would want on MY head). I am a person who is super sensitive to smells and sounds. If you pretend to burp – it will make me gag. If you really burp – that’s worse. If you pretend to fart – same scenario. Real fart? I’m a gonner. But go “for reals” and leave it for me to find. There is no forgiveness here. AT LEAST CALL THE NURSE TO CHECK/LOG/FLUSH. Seriously!

No comments:

Post a Comment