Friday, November 20, 2009

Bypass Blogging - continued

UGGGG ... I remember this day.  This was NOT a good day.

At 2:00 AM, Friday, Dec. 20, I had to return to surgery due to a problem in my intestines/bowels.  My "bowel" was compared to a kinked garden hose. 

QUITE painful.  (sigh*)

(Demerol is good.)

For Surgery #1 - I had the Roux en y gastric bypass and that surgery went alright.  I had additional surgery at the same time as the gastric bypass to repair a hiatal hernia but this is very common.  So common, in fact, that prior to each gastric bypass procedure each patient is required to sign a consent for hiatal hernia repair ... "just in case".  I was the in case ... probably one of many.  :-)  

For Surgery #2 - I only remember that I had Demerol.  Right after probably the worst pain I have experienced -- labor included.  I will repeat:  Demerol is good.  I was thanking God for that particular pain medication which came at a time when I didn't feel like I could tolerate pain for one more second.  An anethesiologist came in and gave me one shot - then another shot - then a third shot.  FINALLY I felt relief.  Then I was wheeled into surgery for the 3rd time (or so I'm told).  Actually, it was my second surgery but my third procedure.  Something happened to my intestines and, like I already said, I was told it had "flipped over like a garden hose" and nothing - not a piece of jello, not a drop of liquid, would go down. 

I will try not to get too graphic here but the long and short of it is that I was asked at one point to try to take a small bite of sugar free yellow jello.  Within 15 seconds of swallowing it came back up as a yellow frothy foam.  This was the case with anything I tried to swallow.  Each and every bite - and it hurt everytime I was asked to try to keep something down.  I got dehydrated.  I felt soooo miserable - the pain was, as I already said, indescribable. 

Did I mention there was pain?

Ahhh yes - and gastric bypass is the easy way out ... hmmm -

If you say THAT ... you have NEVER had gastric bypass. 

'nuf said!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment