Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A little stop on the way home ...


The gastric bypass saga continues.

I don't know when I last journaled but ... here's an update (and I am currently writing on a napkin in a Toyota Service Customer Waiting area ... but I'll go more into detail WHY we are seated here in a bit!).

I was released from the hospital @ around NOON yesterday (Mon., 11/23).  I was feeling pretty good and was given good marks when I was released.  I was released 3 days late because of slight complications from the Rou ex Y (if I hadn't already mentioned by the time I add this post).  I came out of surgery doing well as far as I can remember.  I was able to sip okay and the recovery was going well.  However, within 15 hours of that first surgery I started feeling ... bad.   Anyway - I'm sure by the time I add this post I will have rambled long enough about THAT part of things so ... I will move on.

Presently, I had my "post-op" appointment with Dr. Felix this morning @ 8am.  I was SO glad that was not postponed and/or rescheduled.  I wanted to get HOME!

All went well.  They did a bone density test, a follow-up nutritional education seminar, a follow-up one on one with the surgeon.  He showed me some cool color pics of the second surgery - though I was only able to obtain black and whites for myself.  No biggy -

I was given a full release to return home ... YAAAAY.  We prepared for our 5 hour drive back home to the Redding (Shasta Lake) area.  We went back to the hotel and finished loading the car - then hit the road.  About 45 minutes up the freeway we stopped to fill up/top off the tank with gas.  Since I was told to walk at least 10 minutes for every 45 minutes on the road - I took advantage of this gas stop to get out for a short walk. 

Back on the road. 

We got onto Hwy. 99 - drove about 15 minutes and then ....

BEEP BEEP BEEP!  The dashboard "DANGER/WARNING" indicator came on.  Oh come on ... seriously?

Then there was a warning buzz/tone, followed by another couple of lights ("check engine" indicator and "hybrid system activation" light).  In short - our little Prius' way of saying, "I've fallen and I can't get up."

sigh*

We pulled off at the next exit (luckilly the car was still running okay) and Chuck immediately pulled into the nearest gas station.  He inquired as to whether or not there was a Toyota dealership nearby and was told that yes - there's one open about 5 minutes up the road.  Yaaaay!

We got there just fine and the service tech did a dx test and determined that the cooling pump for the hybrid system (essentially the water pump in the Prius) went out.  :-(    The tech said they did have the part we needed in stock and he could have us back on the road by 5pm.  (We love Toyota in Madera!)

So -- this is how I currently find myself seated in the little Toyota Dealership in Madera, CA.  Nuts.  But - it makes for an interesting little addition to my blog, right?  ;-)

I plan on taking some pictures of our "service savior" and the dealership itself and I'll add them to this blog at some point. 

Currently, the boys and Chuck walked next door to a Carl's Jr.  (thanks God!).  Obviously, I opted not to go with them because I prefer to bypass that food due to the bypass in my stomach.  :-)

So -- I am going to turn on this little television in the waiting area of the Toyota Dealership and kill some time.  Thanks to God (seriously) - we were right near a freeway exit, right near a gas station when we exited the freeway, right near an open Toyota dealership and ... even though the guy was working on his last vehicle for the day - he was willing to stay and get us back on the road.  There aren't always Prius service guys available at Toyota we were told so ... it was our "lucky" day.  :-)   I'll take that.

We'll get home ... eventually - and it will definitely be "Home Sweet Home"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment