Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I really don't know what tomorrow holds ... but I know Who holds tomorrow ...



Wow - I found out yesterday that a PA who works for the surgeon who performed my spine surgery 4 years ago had a diving accident on July 4th and is now paralyzed.

I don't know him well but I know he's a great guy and he went over and above when I was recovering from my surgery.  Here he is - a young man himself - husband to a young bride and father to two young boys (I think they're both under 4 because his wife gave birth to their first son shortly after my surgery in 2006).  There he was - simply spending the holiday with his family ... enjoying time together.  He took one simple dive - probably a dive he'd performed a million times over the years but this time:  boom. 

His life has now changed forever.

In the blink of an eye!

Later today I go to Winco and I notice two teens in the line directly in front of me (both appeared to be under 16 years of age) - the boy is bagging the groceries that his sister has just loaded onto the belt.  She has the credit card and is waiting for the cashier to give her the final tally of their grocery bill. 

I find myself wondering, "Where is the adult in their life?"

She wheels up a few moments later ... a paraplegic.  (sigh*)  She had some use of her hands to activate her electric wheelchair but she had a brace around her neck and her legs were braced.  The two teens helping were so mature and funloving.  Their mom (or whomever this adult was to them) had done a great job raising them.

I was humbled.

Every morning when the alarm goes off I want to hit the snooze, roll over and go back to sleep.  I know I should walk or run or do a combination of both ... but I want to sleep in.  I get up because I know I should, because I have a goal, because I have to.

Tomorrow I will get up because ... I CAN! 

What the physician's assistant or this woman shopping tonight wouldn't give to hear that alarm sound and bound out of bed to take a brisk walk every morning.

So yes - again - I will walk for them tomorrow morning.  And I will pray that both will receive a miraculous healing. 

Life is short ... we don't know what tomorrow may bring.  We take moments for granted while we're making memories.

I hope I will begin to be more conscious of all the gifts I have in my life - my family, my home, my health, my ability to move ... just to name a few.

I will close for tonight but, as always, I will keep you ...

'posted'  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment