Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Why?

Today a co-worker asked me, "Why do you want to run a marathon ... ANY type of marathon - long distance, short distance ... ANY distance?"

I said, "I don't know ... I just wanna'."

As the day has gone on I have contemplated her simple and sincere question.  My answer remains the same ... I really don't know ...

I just wanna'.

Seriously - it's not like I've held onto a lifelong dream of crossing a finish line, of ripping through tape, of cheering crowds and whoops and hollars (well hold it - that seems kinda cool now that I stop to think about it ... )  lol

But seriously ... I am not a "has been" exercise/running enthusiast who is itching to get back to my glory days.  There are no athletic glory days in my past.  Granted - when I was in elementary school and on into what we called Jr. High (now most kids refer to this as middle school) I did LOVE running ... but even then I loved only short distances ... sprints.  I was quick back then -- and it wasn't until long legged Lydia Watson started at Manor that I actually had competition.  I was a quick short kid and I won races (such as we had them at a little private school).  But I've always preferred a quick 50 yard dash or a 4 person relay.  Long distance has never been my thing.  It still isn't.

When I got into high school I pretty much shriveled up socially after leaving Manor (I went from being an "it" girl in 9th grade to becoming a total "has been" by 10th! ha).  I would've enjoyed running short distances still and would've enjoyed softball and basketball ... maybe even volleyball ... but I wouldn't/didn't try out.  Too shy.  I tried out for the cheerleading squad (I had been head cheerleader at my previous school).  When I "only" made the lettergirl squad I had my mom call and get me off of that because I wasn't satisfied with being a lettergirl ... it was cheerleader or nothing for me.  How silly.  How immature.  How vain. 

Hindsight is, once again, 20/20, ey??

Soooo - now here I am ... 47 years of age.  Training for a marathon?  A 5K?  Longer maybe?  Why?

I dunno.

I just wanna'.

It's not for anybody else - it's for me. 

I need a little bit more of a reason because running seems boring to me everyday when I go out to train.  It is a mind game ... and I want to come up with more of a personal incentive to achieve this goal.

But I will.

Because ...

I just wanna'.

That's all for today ... and as always - I'll keep you ~

'posted' ...  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment