Thursday, May 9, 2013

Deliberate Day 9


I was reminded of a verse this morning (and I will admit upfront I'm taking it somewhat out of context here because there is more to the verse than just the part I am going to post tonight).  The verse is found in James 4:2 and the part of the verse I'm thinking of comes at the end, 'You have not because you ask not.'

With this in mind - I decided to ask someone about something ... I stepped forward and approached a friend about a writing opportunity. 

More to come but at this point I will suffice it to say:  This is an inspirational story that I think needs to be told ... about 4 college guys who befriended their professor and have continued this student/professor "mentorship" for the past thirty years.  The interesting part of the story is that the initial mentor and encourager (the teacher) is now being mentored and encouraged by his students.  Today their former professor - now dear friend - is in his 80's and his former students are in their 50's.

I heard about the story from a co-worker (one of these 'student's' happens to be her husband).  I mulled it around and mulled it around and thought, "This is the type of story I've been wanting to write about."  So FINALLY, yesterday, I got up the nerve to ask my co-worker's spouse (when he made his daily call to her) what he thought about my putting this story in print.  I asked if he (and maybe the others in their group) would be willing to talk with me about the bond that has formed over the years between these students and their professor. 

He sounded pleased with the idea - excited and eager even!  His reply was, "Wow!  Sure!  And  I could even provide pictures!  Let me know when you're ready!"

I guess I have to admit I wasn't really ready for such a positive response.  But now I have to get ready!  I'm excited!! 

I'd never have an opportunity to write the story if I didn't ask.  "You have not because you ask not."

What do you want?!  Ask for it! 

Here's to pursuing dreams, following dreams, living dreams ... Deliberately!

No comments:

Post a Comment